The Apostles

Jesus enters Jerusalem with his faithful disciples
For some reason, the twelve apostles are sometimes the hardest roles to fill. We have a few key roles for Judas and Saints Peter, John and James, but the other eight apostles are also named.
Their role is to be with Jesus in his triumphal entry into Jerusalem, witness the healing of the blind beggar and attending the Last Supper. Their main lines are denying they will abandon Jesus in his hour of need.
After the Last supper they are utilised as support for the smaller groups of Veronica, Mary, Mary Magdalene and St John, and other marshalling. It is an important role and we often need to volunteer people on the day.
The disciples watch the first Consecration
This year we were three apostles short so I quickly welcomed one man that had been brought by one of the actors. "But I'm not Catholic," he said.
"Then this will be a great experience," I replied, leading him to the costume room. He did a great job playing the part and told me he enjoyed the experience. "You will certainly have something different to tell everyone when you get back!"
The remaining two apostles I "volunteered" the same way.
"Hello," I said to one as I was introduced, "You know, you would make a great apostle. Why not see the play from the inside? Come with me."
Not I Lord, I will not betray you.
Every part is an important piece in the story that makes up the Passion of Our Lord. When we hear or read about the Last Supper of Palm Sunday we can now see a collection of men following and with Jesus. We are all brave before the time of the trial and confident of our strength in standing for what's right.
The apostles show us that even though we may fail at the time of trial, we can rise again and be greater, learning from the failure.
We will stand by you

Listening to the words of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment