Scene 8: Jesus is denied by Peter

Warming themselves by the fire
Peter is the man Jesus chose to lead his people. Jesus knew all about Peter's strengths and weaknesses and knew that after the trial Peter would stand firm. Peter would be a better man for it, knowing all too well the weaknesses to which we are all subject.

You too were with Jesus the Nazarene
Meanwhile outside in the courtyard one of the high priest's servant girls saw Peter sitting there in the firelight, looked closely at him and said:
"You too were with Jesus the Nazarene!"
Peter stood up and replied, "Woman, I have no knowledge of him; I do not know what you mean!"
Peter hurried out into the forecourt. The cock crew the first time.
The servant girl saw him again and started telling the bystanders.
"That man is one of His followers."
Peter replied, "Not I. I know nothing of the man."
At this point Peter is becoming a little desperate. He has seen Jesus beaten and degraded by the leaders of the people and he was all alone in a crowd of those who supported the leaders. I find it hard to blame him.
A relative of Malchus, the guard who had his ear cut off by Peter, called out, "Did I not see you with him in the garden?"
Another bystander joined in, "It is certain you are one of them; even your speech betrays you; why, you are a Galilean."

That Man is one of his followers!
Peter, surrounded and alone, cried out, "God is my judge; this man is nothing to me! Stay away from me with your lies; I do not know this man!"
The cock crew a second time.
Peter turned around and his eyes met Jesus and he remembered the words Jesus had said to him, ‘Before the second cock-crow you will thrice deny me.’

God is my judge. I do not know the man
Peter burst into tears and went out weeping bitterly. As he left he caught sight of Mary and rushed over to her embrace.

Over the years this scene has developed into a very powerful reminder of what Peter went through. We had many people tell us afterwards this year that they cried at this scene with their emotions roiling until the embrace of Peter into Mary's arms.
I know you, Peter.

Peter realises his failure

Into the arms of Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment