Scene 24: Jesus Dies on the Cross (Station 12)

I am thirsty
From noon onwards the sun was darkened; there was darkness over all the land until three in the afternoon. And about three o’clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi, lama sabachthani?"

This meant “My God My God, why have you abandoned me?”
When some of those standing there heard this they said, "Listen, he is calling on Elijah."

Now Jesus knew well that all was achieved which the scripture demanded for its accomplishment; and he said, "I am thirsty."

There was a jar there full of vinegar, and thereupon one of the soldiers ran to fetch a sponge, which he filled with vinegar and fixed upon a javelin, and offered to let him drink.
One of the crowd called out, "Wait! Let us see if Elijah will come and save him!"

Jesus drank the vinegar and said, "It is accomplished!"

And crying with a loud voice, he said, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."

And Jesus died.

Jesus, bowing his head, breathed his last.
All at once, the veil of the sanctuary was torn from top to bottom, and the earth shook, and the rocks parted asunder; and the graves were opened, and many bodies arose out of them, bodies of holy men gone to their rest: who, after his rising again, left their graves and went into the holy city, where they were seen by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment